Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Lux Helsinki 2014


 A four day event of bringing light into the darkness with light art in several locations of Helsinki. This year we had no snow and it was pretty warm for the time of year. I wasn't really inspired to go but my daughter in law got me going and so we went. I was most interested in the fire show but not enough to carry the big gear around the whole evening. I settled for the EOS-m with a 18-55 EF-s lens and a lighter tripod.  We got to the spot a little late as there was already a compact circle of people around the stage waiting. Luckily my light tripod gets high enough and found a spot of short enough people in front, so I could shoot over their heads. The challenge with the EOS-M is that it has a really hard time focusing in dark evern if I have updated the firm ware. IT was to take a few sample shots and set the focus right then leave it on manual and hope for the best. This time I did'nt really get what I wanted but a few ok pics anyway. 


 For the rest of Lux Helsinki there wasn't much I felt like shooting, the view over Töölön lahti was more interesting to my eye. Since I had the tripod I gave it a go using slow shutter speeds to get calm images with good reflections. 

 Of the light art the following three caught my interest, the jelly fish shaped blue lanterns gave a nice coloring using auto white balance as the blue confused the automatic white balance metering. I like the result though the white balance really is way out of reality.   


And last, a little combined light art and view.

A nice start to the photography year 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment